1435 problems but the blog ain't one

Yes - I've got a problem. 

The first step in a video gaming collecting problem is to admit that you have a problem. 




My problem - collecting video games for a range of old and new consoles and handheld systems but just don't have the time to do the games justice by even getting around to playing with them. 

Case in point - exhibit A - see above a small screen shot of some of my video games.

Exhibit B - my "Gameye" app is telling me I own 1435 games across 38 gaming systems including: 
- 3DO 
- Atari 7800 (2600) 
- Atari Jaguar 
- Neo Geo MVS 
- Neo Geo Pocket 
- NES 
- Nintendo 3DS (2DS) 
- Nintendo 64 
- Nintendo Gameboy / GBC / GBA 
- Nintendo Gamecube 
- Nintendo Switch 
- Nintendo Wii 
- Nintendo Wii U 
- PC Engine Duo 
- Sega 32X 
- Sega CD 
- Sega Dreamcast 
- Sega Game Gear 
- Sega Megadrive/Genesis (Master System)
- Sega Saturn 
- Sony OG Playstation 
- Sony Playstation 2 
- Sony Playstation 3 
- Sony Playstation 4 & Pro 
- Sony Playstation TV 
- Sony Playstation Vita 
- Sony PSP (1000 and 3000 models) 
- Super Nintendo 
- Microsoft OG Xbox 
- Microsoft Xbox 360 
- Microsoft Xbox One 

It's a lot of systems and doesn't include some of the highly glossy/HD clone consoles (e.g.: Analogue, minis, not so minis etc).

And when you are a 40 something gay with a busy full time job and some adult-ing responsibilities plus trying to keep up your  relationships (my partner doesn't game), your friendships and family - you just don't have enough time to commit to playing all the games you start accumulating.

I'm no psychotherapist but I think after I've acknowledge that I have a problem, the next step of the pathway to recovery is to journal this via this blog.  I think I'm the video gaming equivalent of a crazy cat lady so I think through this blog, I'll put the crazy to some good use.  Diarising my current interests (whether that be particular systems, decades, genres or series), tackling (and critiquing) the backlog, and how gaming is impacting (better or worse) my mood, mental health, wellbeing and bank account.

So I hope you enjoy my rants and raves as I start to put my gaming backlog and collecting adventure to some good use.

Comments